Residential and Commercial
Snow Removal/Plowing Operations
As per Section 2 of By-Law 2006/63, removing snow from driveways and entranceways by pushing it on to or across a public road is not a safe practice and is unlawful.
The Ontario Highway Traffic Act states that: “No person shall deposit snow or ice on a roadway without permission in writing to do so from the Ministry or the Road Authority responsible for the maintenance of the road.”
This practice may create a variety of safety and other issues including but not limited to:
- Creating frozen piles/ridges which usually causes extensive damage to Municipal snowplows
- Most times kicking off the rear of our equipment onto the adjacent lane, creating a health and safety risk to oncoming traffic
- Posing a danger to the plow operator and travelling public
- Creating the opportunity for increased drifting
- Creating drainage obstruction in the spring
- Creating additional snow accumulation for neighbours
- Posing a danger to the person removing or pushing the snow
Your assistance with this matter is appreciated. It will allow us to continue to provide a safe and reliable road system for our residents.